Proof That You Can Make Money Writing On Medium
If others can do it, so can you
I started writing on Medium on 30 October last year. In just three months I’ve earned over $1,000. If you can write, you too can make money here.
One caveat is that to earn money on Medium you need to be in one of their supported countries.
Since joining Medium I’ve read hundreds of stories. Many of these have been income reports and writing tips from successful writers. I will share the best ones here. This will give you an idea of what’s possible.
It should go without saying that you need to put in the work if you want to earn decent money here. You’ll fail if you just write 1 or 2 stories a month and just cross your fingers and hope for the best.
How much can you earn on Medium?
Let’s start with some basic stats.
According to this post by Casey Botticello, only 6.4% of active writers earn over $100. Don’t let that put you off. The majority of active writers only write a few posts a month. You’ll be working way harder than them. That means it should be easier to get into that exclusive top tier.
Here are a few more stats from the post…
Here are some other stats Medium included on their Partner Program as of September 2020:
$16,685.50 — the highest amount earned for a single story
$49,705.40 — the highest amount earned by a single author
I’m not saying you’ll earn these amounts. I’m showing this so that you can see the possibilities. If some writers can earn $40,000+ in a month, then earning $500, $1,000, or even $3,000 a month doesn’t sound so daunting.
As already mentioned, you need to put in the work, especially if you want to earn higher amounts.
What are other writers earning?
What follows is a list of writers that I follow and that have shared their earnings. If you want to make money here I suggest you sign up and follow these writers. But don’t just follow them. Read their earnings reports and writing tips.
Don’t only read the tips. You need to implement them as well.
Note: If you sign up using the link above I’ll receive a small commission. It won’t cost you any extra. The subscription fee is currently $5 a month or $50 a year. You should be able to easily cover that with the money you earn.
I’ll start with my own earnings.
Mike Lewis, that’s me. As mentioned at the start, I’ve earned over $1,000 so far. That despite only being accepted onto the Medium Partnership Program mid-way through November. So that $1,000 was earned over 2.5 months. You can see my earnings reports and a few writing top stories below.
I have just started my own publication, Build Your Wealth. If you’re interested in building your wealth, be sure to follow it.
- 1 Month On Medium, $92.88 Earned, 6,635 Views
- Month 2 On Medium — $468.28 Earned — 16,045 Views
- Month 3 Earnings Revealed — Plus An Exciting New Development
- 14 Key Takeaways From Tim Denning’s 3-Day Writing Course
- 7 Actionable Tips To Supercharge Your Medium Income In 2022
Robert Ralph is another great writer that you need to follow. But please, don’t call him Ralph. He runs the awesome New Writers Welcome publication. You’ll be more than welcome there if you’re a new writer — as long as you stick to the guidelines.
- My Total Medium Earnings For 2021
- A Complete Guide Of How To Get Paid As A New Writer
- Write for “New Writers Welcome”
Burk is the guy that runs the super-awesome Writers’ Blokke. This is where my top performing article was published. He’s a helpful and friendly guy. Make sure you follow him.
- 8 Months On Medium, 4-Figure Pay, 5-Figure Views & Regret
- 5 Pro Tips for Medium Beginners (2021)
- If You Want to Go Viral, Use The Following Publication
Jenn Leach does much more than just write on Medium. Follow her and you’ll get a ton of money-making tips.
- My Medium Income Grew 630% Last Month
- I’ve published 300 Medium stories
- I finished my January pitch challenge early
Abena Talks is another writer that does a lot more than write. She’s a major inspiration for the amount of work she puts in. Follow here for all sorts of great tips about writing and other ways to make money online.
- This is How Much Medium Paid Me For 12.3k Views
- Writing About Your Earnings is Not “Selling Out” — Write, Write, and Write Some More!
- Yesterday I Felt Like Quitting Medium and Every Other Writing Platform
I could keep going with many more writers, but I’m sure you get the point by now. Writers are making great money on Medium. They’re no different from you and me.
How to get started
- Sign up to Medium — this is my affiliate link. I’ll earn a small commission if you use it. It won’t cost you any extra.
- Set up your profile and About page — I suggest you look at some examples to get an idea of what a good one looks like. See my profile page.
- Write an About Me story and pin it to the top of your profile. Readers want to know who you are. See About Mike Lewis.
- Consider publishing your About Me story in the publication About Me Stories.
- Spend some time reading and finding your way around the Medium platform.
- Follow interesting writers and comment on interesting stories.
- Start writing — I have found that publishing once a day for the first few months works very well. You’ll gain followers quickly. You need 100 before you can join the Medium Partner Program
That’s it. Have fun. Hopefully, you’ll also be reporting some great earnings very soon.