Using other tags will disqualify you
I used to think that you needed to be a great writer to earn a Top Writer award, but that’s not the case. I have two Top Writer awards but don’t consider myself to be great at writing.
What you need to know is that only certain tags can qualify for Top Writer status. If you don’t use these tags in your stories, you’ll never get Top Writer status. That applies even if you’re the world’s greatest writer.
So, it’s not about being great. It’s about being good enough and using the correct tags.
You can see my two awards in Writing and Advice shown below.
Medium doesn’t publish a list of eligible tags, so you have to do some detective work to find out what they are. I believe there to be 73 such tags, and here they are in alphabetical order. Note that some could be removed in the future and others added. I think the list is pretty stable though.
- 2016 Election
- Artificial Intelligence
- Climate Change
- Internet of Things
- Life Lessons
- Mental Health
- Self-Driving Cars
- Self Improvement
- Short Story
- Social Media
- This Happened To Me
- Venture Capital
- Virtual Reality
- Women in Tech
What does it take to get a Top Writer award?
- No one knows for sure, as the selection process is a secret. I have read that having a good percentage of your articles selected for further distribution helps, but I got my first award without many such stories.
- Just because you get a Top Writer award doesn’t mean you’ll never lose it. I don’t know how often the list is updated though. Only 50 writers can get the award for each eligible tag. When I got mine for Writing I could see my name on the top 50 list. I no longer see it there, so I’m assuming I’ll lose the award soon. It still shows on my profile though.
- It’s believed that your stories will be shown more widely if you have Top Writer status for a particular tag.
- To get the award I’d suggest regularly publishing stories for a certain tag. I publish a lot of Writing stories, so I assume that’s how I got the award.
- Some writers have Top Writer status in Multiple tags. Tim Denning has 18.
Below, I’m shown in position 33 for Top Writers in Advice.
I hope the above helps you get to Top Writer status in one or more of the tags you write about. Good luck.
If you liked this article, you may also like the one below about using certain tags to help your story go viral.